Monday, February 8, 2010

Throwing-things-mad, but feeling better now

Ok, so I didn't really throw anything, but I can't think of any other way to describe how displeased I was.

Here's the picture. This year is my 35 year service anniversary with... you know, that place I work for. I'm not sure I want to say the company name 'cause you never know when big brother might be watching. I knew a service award had been sent to my office so I went to work at the office today instead of working from home. I even knew what the service award was... not like it was a big surprise or anything. I just needed to go to the office to pick it up, and I need to go in periodically just to keep my building access card activated. So I get to the office and find the box and indeed it is exactly what I thought it was. Are you ready for this? It's a paper weight with my name engraved on it and the number 35. Granted, it's a fancy paper weight, but a paper weight nonetheless. Then I had a meeting scheduled and had to focus my attention elsewhere which is probably a good thing. As the day went by I would look over at the paper weight occassionally and just think to myself, "really, a paper weight... for 35 years??" On the brighter side, it's a perfect match for the one I got 5 years ago except that one has the number 30... otherwise, they're identical... a matching set. Well, I stewed about this all day long and when I was packing up to go home, I picked up the beautiful paper weight to put it back in its box. In the process I happened to look at the bottom and what do I see but a sticker proclaiming that my beautiful paper weight that I had been awarded for 35 long, faithful, dedicated, hard years was MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm fit to be tied. Are you freakin kiddin me???? Not only is it just a paper weight, but it's a cheap paper weight from the lowest cost provider!! I couldn't get out of that building fast enough and my poor truck took a little abuse on the way out of the parking lot.

I'm suddenly reminded of some lyrics to a Tennessee Ernie Ford song... "you load 16 tons and what do ya get, another day older and deeper in debt. St. Peter don'tcha call me 'cause I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store."

Now for the feeling better part... jump forward an hour or so. I had already decided that I was going to the gym to take out my frustrations on the machines which is exactly what I did. It was a really good workout and I stepped on the scales before leaving and found that I had lost 4 pounds. Finally, something to feel good about!

2 comments:

  1. You lost 4 pounds and I was told by my doctor that I'd gained 6. Making my total weight gain over the past 7 months a glorious 23 pounds. That's rough.

    I can't imagine being with the same company for 35 years. But hey - just look at how close you are to retirement. That's something to get excited about. For me, I have a loooooooong road ahead of me. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaunna - Isn't the ideal weight gain for a pregnancy like 20-25 pounds? If so, then it doesn't sound like you're too off the mark.

    Dad - Made in China? That's especially funny given the name of...you know...the place you work for.

    ReplyDelete