Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Happy in the head and hurting all over

First the hurting part. I joined a gym last weekend (pause for laughter to subside) and went tonight for the second time, this time working with a trainer. I'm sure I told him my age and that I'd never been to a gym and that I needed to start really slow. Apparently, none of that mattered because he pushed me to the limit. And afterwards, he had the nerve to try to sell me some private sessions with a trainer. Let's see, you just ran me through the proverbial wringer, made me feel like crap, and now you want me to pay you to do it again and again. I would laugh but I still feel like throwing up. Daniel, if you're reading this, you'll appreciate this part... the trainer was impressed with my calf muscles. He had me do 50 reps of a certain exercise for the calf muscles and it didn't phase me so a few minutes later he had me do 75 reps and it still didn't phase me. At least there's one part of my body that did me proud and doesn't hurt.

Now for the happy part. I went downstairs for another cup of coffee this morning and went through the dining room to get to the kitchen... by-passing the den where Cohen was playing. When Cohen saw me he toddled (I think that's a word) all the way across the kitchen with arms out-stretched and the biggest grin on his face and just sort of fell into me when I bent down to scoop him up. Memories from 25+ years ago came flooding back, reminding me of coming home from work to be greeted by my own toddling children. Yessir... that's my grandson!

2 comments:

  1. Aweeeeee. I remember when we used to run to the door to see you when you got home from work. Precious.

    And yes, a little strange that you joined a gym. Only because I've never seen you work out a day in your life. It's good though. And if I had the will to go, I'd actually enjoy it. I could just never build up enough want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that I feel like you take after me, and not the other way around?

    ReplyDelete