Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tis The Season... I Ought To Know By Now

This is not meant to be a "Bah Humbug" rant, but rather an "I ought to know by now" article.

I really do love the Christmas season as a whole, but let's talk about stress. I'll sort this into work stress and home stress.

Work: It's practically a tradition now that this time every year brings a round of firings. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with making up for budget shortfalls to make the year as a whole look better on the balance sheet. But seriously, how sucky is it to let people go 3 weeks before Christmas? "Merry Christmas... you're fired!!" Really? They couldn't wait until January? I know the firings are coming every year, and every year I get nervous about it because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've seen some of our best people fired for no apparent reason. And every year that I don't get fired, rather than feeling like I must be contributing and doing a good job, I feel like I just got lucky and dodged another bullet. Even worse, there's always some "survivors remorse"... why them and not me.

I ought to know by now... not to worry about getting the axe. If it happens, it happens and life will go on. And my psyche shouldn't sweat it because I probably won't be fired for doing a poor job. It'll just be an economical decision made by some mid-level bonehead. And another thought - I am not defined by my job. It was different (or so I thought) when I was much younger and chasing the brass ring, but not anymore. If I lose this job, it does not change who I am.

Home: This time of year always seems to create stress around the house. We stress about putting up the Christmas Tree, decorating the house, cooking the traditional meals, and most of all we stress about finding the perfect gift for everyone.

I ought to know by now... that all this stress is self-imposed and/or imagined. These are all things I can control. I really enjoy having the tree up and the house decorated and the big traditional meals and, most of all, giving gifts... so, why is all this stressful? Because of what we imagine others might think. If we were true to ourselves and didn't worry about what other people (those who don't matter anyway) think, would we still go big - big fancy tree, big fancy decorations, enough food to feed a small army, and big expensive gifts? Maybe not. Maybe this sounds selfish, but I think we should do these things for ourselves, because it brings joy to us. I choose to believe that the people in my life who really matter won't care if I have a fancy tree and decorations, and probably would be fine if they received no gift at all. Does this mean I'll stop decorating and giving gifts? Absolutely not! It brings me joy to do so.

Merry (stress-free) Christmas to All!!

2 comments:

  1. You're in a good spot right now...this is a spot you may be able to enjoy for another year or so. Your kids are old enough to know what is really important about Christmas traditions (which is being together as a family). Your grandkids are young enough to not put too much emphasis on the presents (this may change in the next few years despite my, Kimberly's, Chris', and Shaunna's best efforts...you know how kids can be).
    But, I know you. I know your heart. You love your family, and you'd love nothing more than to give your kids and grandkids everything they want. I think you also know though, that what we want...we already have. It's this amazing family.

    It's sitting around the table having an entertain-off between Cohen and Martha (with the occasional intermission comedy bit by Brent). It's the pajamas (matching or not). It's the (retired) silly string tradition. It's the hugs and the "Merry Christmases", and the "Happy Birthdays".
    Looking back over past Christmas days at our house, it's the sitting in the living room for an hour opening presents - not the presents themselves - that I remember.
    You know all of this, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Daniel.

    How did you get to be so enlightened at such a young age? Good genes I suppose?

    ReplyDelete